If you've been following the online chatter you may have already heard that another entrepreneurial couple are purchasing the Plywerk intangible assets (brand, website, etc). Derric and Erin Swinfard, owners of Printsonwood.com, have agreed to take over where Kjell and Kim left off. Given that Kjell and Kim were willing to simply close the doors and move on it’s really a dream come true to get a call from Derric, who is essentially a competitor, saying “You guys can't do this! I love what you guys do and I love your products!"
With all this is mind we wanted to clarify a few things:
- Plywerk Inc will still be still closing it’s doors in the new year.
- Prints On Wood will be incorporating the production of the Plywerk products into their existing business and production facility near LA. Plywerk will now be produced with 100% solar power since the Prints On Wood building has 200 solar panels on its roof!
- Plywerk Inc. will still be fulfilling all orders placed through Jan 8th here in Portland. All orders placed on or after Jan 9th will be fulfilled by Prints On Wood.
- Printsonwood.com will incorperate their direct printing process into the Plywerk site, this means they will no longer be mounting photographs but instead printing directly onto the panels.
- During the transition some of the Plywerk crew will be flying down to work alongside the Prints On Wood crew to help facilitate a smooth transition and to ensure that the high standards of quality you’ve come to expect from Plywerk is upheld by Prints On Wood.
- Kjell, in his new career as a lean efficiency consultant focused on small U.S. based manufacturers (www.vanzoen.com), will be working with Derric to ensure that Prints On Wood’s existing operation (and integrating Plywerk into it) benefits from all that Kjell has learned during his last 10 years at Plywerk.
- And most importantly Techno Kitten will continue to dominate Plywerk.com’s footer!
Kjell and Kim are more than happy to see the brand continue under someone else's leadership but sad to see it leave Portland. We’d like to thank you all for supporting their vision for sustainable US manufacturing. We hope you can be proud that this vision will live on with Prints on Wood at the helm of the Plywerk brand.
Kjell van Zoen
Co-Founder & CEO of Plywerk Inc.
Founder & CEO of Monster Media Inc.